frequently asked questions and answers
– Why are you making this trip?
The idea was always there. It was just changing meaning and shape. At 17 I wanted to travel around the world on my bike, at 27 I just wanted to leave. A bit after 30 the instict of wandering is still there, waiting for me around the corner. This time there is also the element of recording. I think that the need of expression met the need of escaping – and I can’t refuse it since it doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all.
– What was your relation to travelling so far?
You could say that the staying in the city was always an intervall in between trips. I was always founding my first plans for the next departure shortly after every arrival. The first images that I have from a trip go back to when I was 14 and it was when I left in my uncle’s truck and reached West France. In an older age I travelled with my bike packed both in Greece and abroad, when the last years had a merely photographic character.
– How did you get the idea of the project?
The first years I dealt with photography as a professional vehicle that would help me travel. It was only later on when I ensured part of the budget that the project was formed in its current shape. There isn’t a direct economic relation. In other words, the project combines all the things I know, editing, photography and programming being its main characteristics.
– Is there a relation with the crisis in Greece?
No, there isn’t. This crazy idea was always there. You could say that the “big exit” was delayed because of the crisis. I wanted to be here in the crucial years (not that I believe that these were the crucial ones). I wanted to speak or even better to shout out with the rest about my country’s rape. The last three years I was recording the riots in the centre of Athens, whereas the last six months I was Short Docs.
– Which is the route that you are going to follow?
A quick and honest answer would be east until I find myself at the point where I started from. If I have to be more specific Anatolia, Middle East, India, South Asia, China and then somehow America. There is a route marked in the map but I want the time of staying and the route to be determined by the trip itself and not by the plans I made when I was in Athens.
east until I find myself at the point where I started from.
– How much preparation did you need for the trip?
About three years. As time was getting by I was working more intensively. The whole preparation was divided in two main categories, the trip and the project. The last month I was spending 10 hours a day in front of my computer for the research and the construction of the site. There is the illusion that I have organised everything but ideally I would like the day that I set my foot out in the streets to throw away all the info that I’ve gothered and go with the flow of the trip.
– Where ar you going to sleep?
The answer is in hostels, homestays, rentals, tent and Couchsurfing
– Are you going to be on your own?
I leave on my own but that doesn’t mean that I’m gonna be on my own. I always believed that there are friends out there that I just haven’t met yet. When you are on your own you eventually meet travellers as well as natives. Especially through Couchsurfing xxxxxxxmmxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmm
I leave on my own but that doesn’t mean that I’m gonna be on my own.
– What are you afraid of, if there’s something?
Myself most of all. I have witnessed how it is to change your mood during a trip, not to have a good time and to want to give up. Ideally, I would like not to have in my mind the “weight” of the duration, the next town must be every time the one and only destination.I think that something that might cause delay, fatique and hard times is in the game and doesn’t occupy the thought. The main factor is to stay physically intact. Some things depend on me and some others not. But the same goes for the city life.
– Are there people that they help you from a distance? Yes, they are the ones that I’ve hassled the last few years going over every detail. It’s a small core of good friends. They are the ones that believed in me long time before I believed in myself. You’ll find the list with the back team’s names here.
– Do you cooperate with Media or any specific sites? Yes, most cooperations are happening in the framework of sponsorships. The list will probably grow bigger as time goes by.
– What kind of vaccination did you have before you leave? Yellow fever, polio, hepatitis types A and B, tetanus, cholera. I also have with me pills for the malaria. Evangelia Voulgari will also keep an eye on me.
– What are you going to miss the most? My little hero, my nephew.
– Is there a set date of return? No.
– Which kind of equipment are you going to use? I’ll soon update that.
– How can I help?
On various ways.
– Can I meet you when you’ll arrive in my country? How can I talk to you? Can I participate as well? Yes, yes and yes. You just have to follow the route and get in touch with me.